Travelling with small children can be tough. If you are planning a holiday that involves a long drive to and from your destination there are a few things you should consider for your trip. From the right toys to bring to making sure you pack all of the essentials, we’ve got a list of tips to make travelling a long distance with your little ones just that little bit easier:
- Don’t rely on food outlets on the way- One of the biggest problems that can arise is when kids get hungry, and there isn’t another stop for some time. It can also mean stopping more frequently than you want to, not to mention add up to be quite expensive. It’s a great idea to pack a number of snacks that you can easily reach and give to your children when they get hungry. Also pack drinks and even lunch so as to avoid having to stop for restless little ones in the back.
- Practice driving with them- If your children aren’t used to riding in the car for long periods of time, it’s a good idea to go for a few ‘longer than usual’ drives to help them get used to being in the car. It can often be hard for them to go from only going on very short trips to taking their first 10 hour road trip.
- A portable high chair- You can’t rely on every restaurant having a high chair, so it’s a good idea to take a portable one with you.
- New books- Having a few new books for the ride is a great way to keep them occupied. They should be books they’ve never seen before so they won’t tire as quickly from reading or looking at them.
- Bring emergency medications- In case someone isn’t feeling well you don’t want to be in the middle of nowhere trying to find a chemist. Keep some medicine to sooth a headache, fever and cough to ensure if your child is feeling sick, you have everything you need close at hand.
- Set up an in-car movie- This can be as simple as playing a movie the kids love on a portable DVD Player, or playing it through your laptop. It is sure to keep them occupied and happy while travelling.
- A great stash of toys- Of course if you’ve got a stack of toys they can play with your little one will be occupied for hours and is sure to wear themselves out leading to a bit of rest time. There are many places you can buy a great range of online toys on the Internet perfect for creating a great stash of toys for the car. Of course it’s a good idea to bring a few favourite toys, but by keeping them in the car they won’t get to play with them all the time making them something new that your kids won’t get bored of as quickly.
Taking your kids on their first big holiday is a great experience. I hope our tips for how to make travelling with kids a little easier has given you some tips on how to make your holiday driving time all the more enjoyable for both you and your children.